• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Billy Gibbons on Limbaugh...

GCWaters

Ok, so I'm heading for lunch, hop in the car, hit the radio...it's the local AM station, but because it's noon, it's Rush Limbaugh. I'm just about the hit the CD button for "Eat a Peach," when Limbaugh starts recounting an email he received last night--from the Reverend! Seems Billy is a dittohead and is sending Limbaugh some specially mastered digital selections from the new album to be used as bumper music for the show. Also turns out that Limbaugh is somewhat of a ZZTop fan--already uses some tunes at various times of the year. Never really thought about Billy's political orientation before, but I guess this cements it. Of course, I bought that crap back in the '70's about the peso pick, too....:lol2

heinz

Sonic Engineer
never get to know the people you admire, they will always disappoint you.

Rev.WillieVK

heinz said:
never get to know the people you admire, they will always disappoint you.

SOOO TRUE Heinz. I have to keep reminding myself to just enjoy the music and not give a f*** about what they think!

burst_king

I can't really say that I'm disappointed with his views...

How were the teasers? Do you think the album has a fresh sound?

BTW, I listened to Eat A Peach about four times today after a LOOOONNNNNNGGGGG hiatus form the Brothers. Damn I'm gald I gave it a spin!

:dude

GCWaters

They didn't play the teasers, just an old section of "sharp dressed man"...

GCWaters

Yeah, "...peach" is nice...I've had that, "Brothers and Sisters," "Layla," and the first three Jackson Browne cd's out a lot lately...IMO, David Lindley's tone on the JB cd's is extremely under rated...

Last edited:

Rev.WillieVK

GCWaters said:
Yeah, "...peach" is nice...I've had that, "Brothers and Sisters," "Layla," and the first three Jackson Browne cd's out a lot lately...IMO, David Lindley's tone on the JB cd's is extremely under rated...

David Lindley is the best - tasty and rippin'! I saw JB in the late 80's with David and El Rayo-X as the warm up band. The losers that came in late for JB have no clue of the greatness they missed.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
I'm not a Limbaugh fan, but why are people suprised to learn a celebrity might have some conservative views? Heck, the guy's from TEXAS!

Last edited:

John Catto

Sorry but.....

What's a "Rush Limbaugh"? and why is this a bad thing?

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Rush L. is a right-wing radio talk show host. He's the Yin to Howard Sterns Yang... He's the Ted Nugent of AM radio...

burst_king

John,

Rush L. is a radio host here in the U.S. I wouldn't say that he's bad so much as "ultra conservative." If you want to listen to a show about conspiracy theories, gov't criticism, and the whole white/black/man/woman thing, then Rush is perfect! LOL, it's really fun to listen to sometimes, but I tend to prefer Opie and Anthony. Those guys really push the limits of what can be aired. They actually got kicked out of Boston for pulling a prank about the mayor (of Boston) being dead. Needless to say he didn't think that was very funny. The mayor of good ol' B-Town has a LOT of political pull and eventually got them banned from the radio. O and A are back now AND broadcasting to a Boston affiliate. They're the total opposite side of the coin from Rush. :)spin

heinz

Sonic Engineer
-my opinion only-

Rush is a racist f*ck. How 'bout this quote from the Rushster:

"The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."

But don't take my word for it, read up on Rush on the Fairness in Media website.

http://www.fair.org/media-outlets/limbaugh.html

-opinion mode off-

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
I'm not an apologist for Rush... but I don't think that statement is racist. I don't agree with it, but it's obvious intent is to be inflammitory & is directed at a political organization, not a race of people.
"Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot" - Great book for any fans/enemies of R.L.

I Like Listening to him, I'm not a Leftist.

That quote could be taken about 17 different ways. Most likely, he was making fun of the NAACP, because they will defend to the death, anything that anyone black Does, no matter how bad or wrong it is.

Saying he's Racist, is just plain Ignorant. It's quite apparant you have never listened, but are just spewing the regular Leftist hate Lines.

Thanks for the info, I just gained a bit more respect for the Good Rev.

GCWaters

I'd rather talk about Lindley--holy cow, what fingers! Acoustic, electric, slide--some of the tastiest tones I've ever heard...I remember a GP interview, late '70's I think, with Jackson Browne talking about DL....said DL wouldn't even remove the pickguard from a strat cause he thought it might change the tone...said it was the wood, the pickups, and even the amount of dust under the guard that made the magic...I miss those sounds and those songs. Running on Empty started the downwards slide for me...JB was apparantly using a fair amount of coke during that time. If you listen closely to the end of "Cocaine", you can here BJ say, "I gotta do either more or less of that stuff", or something like that, to which Lindley replies, "I'll tell you...it takes a clear mind..." JB kind of laughs, then says, "It takes a clear mind to take it, or not to take it?" to which Lindley replies, "It takes a clear mind...to make it." Browne later talked about that as a wake up remark to him, that if he wanted to stick around in the business he needed to slow down the coke, which he apparantly did. Still, Hold Out (right title?) and Lawyers in Love just didn't have the lyrics or the sounds of the earlier albums..the guitarists were good, but they weren't Lindley...

PhilcoFord

I'm beginning to wish people would stop posting things about Billy Gibbons. Either that or lets limit comments to < 1980.

Rev.WillieVK

Running On Empty really hooked me in on JB (I wore out 2-3 copies) but it was all the earlier stuff that was the best. Listen to the emotional wail in DL's solo in These Days, or the sadness in Late For The Sky, or the roadhouse romp in Road And The Sky...

Around the Lawyers In Love period JB screwed up bad: got rid of Lindley as guitarist/musical director, and quit writing actual songs (endless repetition of phrases).

I like a lot of the I'm Alive album - best non-Lindley band JB has had IMO.

GCWaters

I liked RonE, but not nearly as much as the first three...to me it was transitional--great guitar, great band, but the songs weren't quite as good, at least to me...I have a Bread And Roses double lp from '77, with JB and DL doing a duet on For Everyman...it's chilling, all of it--the vocals, JB's guitar, and DL's lead acoustic is incredible...

Rev.WillieVK

rcoggin said:
David Lindley was on Rush Limbaugh?!?

Yeah man, that's it! CATCH UP! :lolspin

BTW What's this about the "City of The Great Blue Heroin" ???