• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New AFD LP

rng52465

Looks like NOTHING I've ever seen Slash play, 1987, 1997, 2007 or now. Looks like a BFG mixed with a Class 5 with 60's knobs. Lately Slash plays one of the original Slash CS models or one of the new Goldtops. I think this one is a loser. Sorry.

PixelBurst

Looks like NOTHING I've ever seen Slash play, 1987, 1997, 2007 or now. Looks like a BFG mixed with a Class 5 with 60's knobs. Lately Slash plays one of the original Slash CS models or one of the new Goldtops. I think this one is a loser. Sorry.

That's because he retired the original one shortly after G N' R's first big tour. You can see it here on the '88 Live At The Ritz MTV concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_enNmzWn6Y

gh3_derrig_03.jpg

slash.jpg

Garampingat

is it this one? doesnt look anywhere near like a BFG to me.
l_c9f10e5db2f14e81937fffacbca72d73.jpg

l_d9b3bfd11f014d5d88300f17f58b17d2.jpg

mikey_guit

There is already a discussion going on somewhere here in the forum ...

It's his main recording guitar, and yes, it's the one that can be seen in the Ritz video. It's a luthier's replica of a '59 Les Paul, so yes ... Gibson is offering a replica of a replica.

Judging the looks it's not too pretty imho, but I'd love to play it and find out how much mojo and tone it really has ... after all Slash has access to more ore less every guitar out there...

MyJuniorRocks

I've ordered one.
I'm not a Slash fan, (well not an anorak anyway), but I love the colour.
And I fancy an L/p with a slimmer neck and a pretty top.
I've already got an R7, 79 deluxe, 59 Jr so it's something a little different,
Bring it on

jrfisher

They need to Lose the headstock graphic. It kills resale value by limiting the pool of potential customers.

Zoomer

Comon Slash is broke and starving :) he needs more Les Paul models he is the Babe Ruth of signature Les Pauls I think he has more models than anyone !!:peace2

:2zone,

Zoomer

swankmotee

LOL! Yeah, a legitimate Gibson clone of a "Derrig"!:hmm Shows just how badly they need to bring in some sales!

27sauce

Comon Slash is broke and starving :) he needs more Les Paul models he is the Babe Ruth of signature Les Pauls I think he has more models than anyone !!:peace2

:2zone,

Zoomer

He IS frugal, I was on a Southwest flight with him once...

Ad_02Std

I'm not a huge Slash fan, but Appetite... is still a great album. I think if they'd skipped a few of the other Slash models, this would be seen as a much bigger deal by all.

I'd never seen that Live At The Ritz performance that PixelBurst posted, only ever saw the footage from the bloated Illusion tour. It's interesting how much of the AFD tone is in that guitar. His other Les Pauls just don't sound the same.

Check this for instance:

Sweet Child O' Mine - Live At The Ritz

Amazing how similar it sounds to the studio cut, much closer than any other live performance I've heard. I always thought that distinctive quacking tone was some studio trickery, or more from the amp itself, or a cocked wah or something, but it's clearly in that guitar.

I just bought an '88 Orville by Gibson Les Paul Custom, which has an old 1980s SD Alnico Pro II pickup in the neck, and it sounds very similar to that tone...

27sauce

I love Youtube! Appetite was the first tape I bought on my own (at 8 years old) and I remember watching that Ritz performance when it happened. Its so cool that I dont have to dig around for an old worn out VHS copy...