• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2009 specs

R

R9.

I know most of this is old news but some of these bullets seem new to me.
Joe Yoshida posted this at the Gibson Forums today and if Joe posts it, it must all be true. :)
Hopefully, there's some new info here for everyone. He found it on MF.
http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=26862

2009 R9 Changed Features:

# Nylon 6/6 nut
# Improved ABR-1 bridge (no-wire, tighter tolerances)
# Historically correct nickel-plated brass bridge saddles
# Correct alloy saddle adjustment screws
# Bridge height-adjusting thumbwheels are now thinner
# Neck profile changed - now has less "shoulders"
# Audio taper CTS pots
# '50s wiring
# Pickup routes adjusted so that pickups will be parallel to the strings
# Top carve changed to be closer to several original '59s that were scanned
# Body perimeter change - slightly tighter in waist, cutaway area refined to be more like originals
# The maple cap is very slightly thinner, the mahogany body is very slightly thicker
# The fingerboard is slightly thinner
# The step from neck heel to back of body is taller and more correct
# The taper of the "maple window" under the binding in cutaway is more accurate
# The maple spline (filler strip) in the tenon is more accurate
# The edge radius on the backside of the body is tighter (less rounded)
# The "mustache curve" of the headstock top has been flattened slightly
# The control cavity plate has been relocated, has the correct side taper, and now uses the correct ABS plastic
# The pickguard shape has changed slightly
# The pickguard bracket and screw have been changed
# The truss rod cover has been reshaped to be more accurate
# The serial number location is slightly lower and more correct
# Dial pointers are less sharp
# The strap button screws are longer
# The jack hole is now the correct 1" diameter
# The toggle switch nut has more correct knurled pattern

JohnnyAquanet

Sounds interesting! I noticed only some of these changes are listed as "more accurate". Are the ones not listed that way un-accurate? That is changed but not to be more like a real burst just changed for some other reason?

Burrmanchu

I read this info on the Gibby forums a week or so ago... seems Gibson denied that they had this list of changes (or at least could not confirm if they are accurate).. MF listed them but no one is positive where they got them...?
:hmm

Axel

You mean Joe Yoshida that went nuts in the thread about the Historic upgrades through the ages?

GeetarGoul

Just for yucks, I traced the body shapes of my vintage 54' LP, 03' R9 and an 09' R9 I have. The 03's perimiter was actually closer to my old guitar than the 09. The 03' is exactly the same shape as the 54' except there is a little more material on the inside edge of the horn. The 09' has quite a bit more horn than the 03' and a slightly less tight waste. Are vintage 59' LP's different than late 54's? I guess that's the next question.

I think the big changes for 09' are the top quality bridge they put on, the slightly different proportions of maple/rosewood to mahogany, and the quality audio taper pots with 50's wiring. A lot of the 09's I have tried seemed to have a slightly "woodier" sound than I remember in earlier years.

DANELECTRO

They're still not a perfect replica, but they're closer than ever. I agree with GeetarGoul, the most significant changes are the bridge and the pots. The saddles in the bridge are tight and there's not a hint of buzz, which is a problem I've had with several ABR bridges in the past. The pot taper is perfect. I find the new pots to be on the stiff side and not very easy to roll with my pinky, but at least they function as they should. One cosmetic change that I really would have like to have seen would be improved inlays, but maybe next year...

So...Who's willing to commit a homosin and add this list to the sticky? :eek:h

sapi

The tailpiece angle seemed to vary a bit with the real Bursts, and I have historics that are very close to my real Burst. Like the top carve, I don't think there's one right way to do it, within a +/- 20% tolerance.

Good that you mentioned those. It is different from the 'one template fits all' mentality.

MikeSlub

Administrator
I think the big changes for 09' are the top quality bridge they put on, the slightly different proportions of maple/rosewood to mahogany, and the quality audio taper pots with 50's wiring.

I agree with those; I think the nylon nut is also a significant change that makes a difference in snap and tone. :note

But the 2009 changes are "history", as they say --- what's coming now that we're in 2010? :2cool :hmm :rofl

thin sissy

You mean Joe Yoshida that went nuts in the thread about the Historic upgrades through the ages?
Yeah, didn't he take credit for the list that was created by a/some member(s) here? Did that ever get sorted out?

LBR7

This should be a sticky. Imagine how many repeat posts this one will eliminate.

Uncle Gary

The new wireless bridge and new neck shape (both big improvements IMO) made the jump to my '09 Historic '59 ES-335. Alas, the audio taper pots did not. On a Les Paul, pot changes are no big deal, but on a 335, that's another story.:wah

Maybe by 2013 (50th anniversary of the '63 reissue 335) Gibson will have this sorted out (I'm not holding my breath). I'm still waiting for them to get the correct double ring Klusons on the Historic SGs.:hmm

Todd Louis

The tailpiece angle seemed to vary a bit with the real Bursts, and I have historics that are very close to my real Burst. Like the top carve, I don't think there's one right way to do it, within a +/- 20% tolerance.
thank you...

Say it again

Todd Louis

I agree with those; I think the nylon nut is also a significant change that makes a difference in snap and tone. :note

But the 2009 changes are "history", as they say --- what's coming now that we're in 2010? :2cool :hmm :rofl
i tell ya ...

More Money!!! :3zone

Axel

Yeah, didn't he take credit for the list that was created by a/some member(s) here? Did that ever get sorted out?

No idea. Is it even possible to copyright sheer facts of products produced by someone else than yourself?

thin sissy

No idea. Is it even possible to copyright sheer facts of products produced by someone else than yourself?
Jag säger inget, så har jag inget sagt.

or

I'm not going to say anything, that way I haven't said anything.

That didn't sound very good translated...

Decoy205

Are these changes going to be standard now on all Reissues after 2010? Seems like the 2009's don't need as much aftermarket upgrading and those necks are important too. I think that is the most significant change. You can change the nut, pots, bridge and still return an older hysteric to stock but once you refin the neck its not longer stock.

I hope they don't only make SG's in 2011 :spabout