• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best P90 Pickups Currently on Market?

Godtherapy

Lollar, Fralin, SD, DiM, Lundgren, Bare Knuckle, Gibson or what?

DC (KΩ)/Inductance charts can’t be found on most websites. Nor have I been able to find tech info on the differences between the soapbars used on the Goldtops and the dogears used on the LP Jr’s. The dogears appears to be more aggressive and dirty. Overwound compared to the soapbar?

I’m looking for a p-u close to the dogear of the 50’s, as a replacement for the modern dogear on the LP Jr VOS which I find rather lame and unlively.

Shopping for a vintage dogear, is out of reach right now. Hopefully, an aftermarket dogear and perhaps upgraded electronics, will do the trick.

But what should I be looking for, as the websites leaves poor info? And where can I find more info (tech specifications, not emotional assumptions) on the differences between the soapbars and the dogears of the 50’s?

latestarter

My take on it - Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars makes the best sounding P90's - as close to my original '56 Special as one would hope to get. Everyone's got varying views though, so expect to be no better off decision wise.

A theme here is to fork out, buy some real ones from the 50's and never look back. I'd like to do that for my R4 but my wallet has become rather thin recently.

sapi

If I were to get a P90, it would be a Fralin or Don Mare.

1958WES

I had a set of Fralins in an old special - until I found an original set - they sounded great, really really good pickups... BUT once the "real deal" was installed, there was no looking back.

Dire Wolf

I had a couple of newer R6's recently, one with Sheptones and the other with stock Gibson PUPs. The Sheptones sounded really good! And, of course, the Gibsons were awful.

j45

If I were going to go with one of the OP's choices it would Fralins.

OKGuitar

I found a set of early 70's (clear bobbin) P90's out of a broken Goldtop that just killed. They were pretty cheap too. Cost maybe $75 each.

Frost

I have a set of Lollars in my 1962 ES-330 and they sound fantastic.

Last edited:

frazettafan

Has anyone tried TV Jones P-90's?

I've heard that these are really good - someone I know had a '63 Junior with a TV Jones and it sounded amazing.

Trouble is with these replies........it seems they all sound good, to at least one person!? Might be better to ask which one's sound bad? (Duncan's sound good enough to me,btw.)

PS. where did you find your avatar pic?

rockabilly69

SHED P90's vintage construction, great tone! My tastes run into Mick Taylor slide, all the way to that George Thorogood rock and blues type slide tone. If that's what you like, check 'em out. I've tried Lollars, Fralins, Antiquities, and stock Gibsons and none of them hold a candle to the SHEDS. These pickups remind me of the early 60's P90s, which for the type of thing I like, RULE:)

http://www.shedpickups.com/viewpickup.asp?puid=74

frickengruvin1

....I have an '07 R7 VOS LPDC single pick up model....I replaced the p90 in mine with a Lollar, replaced the pots with RS Electronics, and replaced the tp with one from Pigtail....I'm quite happy with the results I get. This is very subjective as the music and tone I am looking for may be similar or totally different than what you are looking to hear. Then there is the set up issue-how your guitar "transfers tone" compared to any other guitar out there, it goes on and on. Bottom line is if you are not happy with the stock arrangement, you are going to have to "try" a few until you find your tonal bliss....It can be fun if you view it that way, or a hassle if you choose to look at it that way....

Good luck in your tonal search!!!

DanD

Lollar, Fralin, SD, DiM, Lundgren, Bare Knuckle, Gibson or what?

DC (KΩ)/Inductance charts can’t be found on most websites. Nor have I been able to find tech info on the differences between the soapbars used on the Goldtops and the dogears used on the LP Jr’s. The dogears appears to be more aggressive and dirty. Overwound compared to the soapbar?

I’m looking for a p-u close to the dogear of the 50’s, as a replacement for the modern dogear on the LP Jr VOS which I find rather lame and unlively.

Shopping for a vintage dogear, is out of reach right now. Hopefully, an aftermarket dogear and perhaps upgraded electronics, will do the trick.

But what should I be looking for, as the websites leaves poor info? And where can I find more info (tech specifications, not emotional assumptions) on the differences between the soapbars and the dogears of the 50’s?

You try swapping the pots/cap out first? I'd approach it in a step by step method starting with the least expensive link.

My past experience is that a pot/cap switch to something from RS or the like is a good starting point. You will hear a difference. My RO Special sounded like someone pulled a blanket off the amp after the swap. Just my .02