• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Just bought this Orville by Gibson Les Paul Custom

Progrocker111

These older Japanese copies are great guitars, i played many of them (from 70s and 80s) and really some of them could compare to current Gibson USA production without problems. These old Japanese VH pickups were nice too.

fatcat

4lp-1.jpg

4lp2-1.jpg

4lp3-1.jpg

omboy

I got an Orville Custom back in the late '90's and I still have it. I changed out the pups and had it routed for a middle pup. It's one of the very few that I've seen that actually has an Ebony fingerboard. Great guitar all the way around. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I hadn't routed it as the middle pup gets in the way of my playing even with the pup lowered. I just thought it would look cool, and it does, but I never even use the middle pup. I had it wired in for awhile but now it's wired up standard.

I have one of those, all mahogany and an ebony board. It gets more play time than any git in the house. Zhangbuckers, CTS pots and Russian PIO caps are the only changes.

9d45cf09.jpg

Ad_02Std

Update

I am deeply in love with this guitar at the moment; I just can't stop playing it. It had sat in the case for quite a while and I'd thought of selling it a few times. I was just about to advertise it as for sale and then made the mistake of getting it out of the case and playing the damn thing. I played an entire gig with it on Friday without picking up my #1, and that's never happened before, even when I've picked up my much loved Tele or '67 SG Special for a couple of tunes. Glad I gave it another shot, it's definitely a keeper.

Apart from a set-up to my tastes the only mod I've done is to wire the pots and caps "50s" style, which really woke up the pickups. They both sound so much sweeter now. Thinking of adding a push/pull pot to get some out-of-phase tones.

Anyway, just wanted to come back here and say how it had worked out.

I probably should've added in the first post that I bought this guitar from somara.com

Ps. Interesting how this thread has been moved from Backstage, where I initially posted it, to The Other Gibsons... :hmm

Last edited:

riscado

I have a 1988 Terada built orville by gibson double cut cherry les paul junior... Amazing guitar, with gibson usa p90, electronics and hardware and a very nice nitro finish, much like an older guitar. I love it, and it's staying.

I've also played some other of their orville by gibson line of reissues, and all were very nice. Plus I've had a 94 regular orville SG guitar, which while not being nitro was truly excelent and sometimes I think I should have kept that one too.

Overall nice guitars, if you choose them properly, much like any other brand.

ZZ Not

Don't own either one of these now but they were both great guitars.

FullBody-1.jpg

fullbody.jpg

57Lefty

I bought /sold a lot of them back in 2001/2002. Very nice copies for the money. The best part is for the price of a real R9 you can have a whole collection of them.

burstman59

Man these are very well made...a lot better than the Korean and Chinese built modelsThw woods are higher quality. A bit better than the plain Orvilles and the Japan built Epis. I have found an Epi by Gibson I want. its kinda pricey but really like it.

bblooz

I got an Orville Custom back in the late '90's and I still have it. I changed out the pups and had it routed for a middle pup. It's one of the very few that I've seen that actually has an Ebony fingerboard. Great guitar all the way around. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I hadn't routed it as the middle pup gets in the way of my playing even with the pup lowered. I just thought it would look cool, and it does, but I never even use the middle pup. I had it wired in for awhile but now it's wired up standard.

I get your point, but would still like to see pix if you have any. I probably looks pretty cool.

TM1

The Orville's are made in the Terada factory. Same factory that's made the Epiphone Elite's and all the pro line Gretsch Guitars! They were more correct in those days than the Custom Shop was on neck tenon's and top carves etc.

Blackjack30

Mine is a Fujigen.

There were three Japanese factories, Terada, Gakki & Fujigen that made Orvilles.

ScumbackSpeakers

I have four Orville guitars, 3 LP's and an Explorer. Great guitars if you upgrade the electronics and get the frets leveled and dressed!

Here's my Orville LP with my TrainWreck Express clone through a 1x12 loaded with a Scumback M75 65w. Straight in, no attenuation, no pedals, just turned up the amp to 5 and let the guitar rip. My solo starts around 3:31. Forgive the clams, they showed me the chord changes after they started the song!

https://youtu.be/5pr1ol8F4RM?list=UL5pr1ol8F4RM

Last edited: