• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New 2013 custom buckers?

Tom99SS

Just curious to know if these new CustomBuckers are wax potted like the BurstBuckers were? :hmm

J.D.

Here's the breakdown of Gibson "reissue" humbuckers

They have the "mismatched" coil burstbucker #1 (~7.8k), #2 (~8.1K), and #3 (~8.5k) - Alnico II
They have the "matched" coil '57 Classic (~8.0k) and Classic Plus (~8.7K) - Alnico II

Take any burstbucker and substitite an Alnico V magnet and it becomes a "Pro" or simply BB#x Alnico V

Throw in an Alnico III in and it becomes a signature model pickup (DC resistance will determine which base pickup it is derived from).

Add 4-wire conductor and it becomes yadda yadda

It is possible that there are a few unique winds, i.e. Wildwood spec, but I'd imagine they are some sort of combination of the "menu" of existing bobbin and magnet options.

58junior

I don't get the fad of low output humbuckers below 8.0K. Might be fine for a Jazz guitar but sort of defeats the purpose for pushing an amp into the hard heavy zone. The 9.0K or over is just fine by me, otherwise give me a green boost to make it heavy.:2zone

jimmyace2006

Here is a demo of a Page #2 LP; first part of the song is an AL3 Page burstbucker in the neck position; then it switches to the bridge pickup = Page #2 burstbucker (AL5):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VejYplIREug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

randall

I have never found A3's to have the stuff that a A2 has. But i bet if a played a pickup and no one told me what magnet was in it i would be hard pressed to tell if it was a A2 or 3?
I posted below some quick facts about what makes a A3 truly different to the others.

Alnico Magnet Types and Gauss
The II thru V Alnico numbering system is used to indicate the specific alloy each type of Alnico magnet is composed of. Alnico stands for ALuminum, NIckel, and CObalt. Other than iron (which comprises about 50% of all Alnico magnets), these are the main metals used in Alnico magnets – plus all grades but Alnico IV have a bit of copper in them too. And, interestingly, Alnico III contains no cobalt. So, we see the recipe for each Alnico grade is different, with the ratio of metals in each alloy varying quite a bit.

MeHereNow

Alnico Magnet Types and Gauss
The II thru V Alnico numbering system is used to indicate the specific alloy each type of Alnico magnet is composed of. Alnico stands for ALuminum, NIckel, and CObalt. Other than iron (which comprises about 50% of all Alnico magnets), these are the main metals used in Alnico magnets – plus all grades but Alnico IV have a bit of copper in them too. And, interestingly, Alnico III contains no cobalt. So, we see the recipe for each Alnico grade is different, with the ratio of metals in each alloy varying quite a bit.

Now copy this in a post:" Thank you MLPF & Musical Illuninism" ...

cfljames

Here is a demo of a Page #2 LP; first part of the song is an AL3 Page burstbucker in the neck position; then it switches to the bridge pickup = Page #2 burstbucker (AL5):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VejYplIREug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's some serious riffing and great example between the two:2cool ...
The A5 sound as Jeff Beck would say is the Ball's...

Todd68

The TSRTS '73 version of No Quarter probably has my favourite Page solo ever. Well done! I really like the fuzziness you get on those notes in the neck spot when playing. When you get to the higher strings it cuts right through though. Very nice! Marshall VM right? I seem to recall you saying that at some time.:3zone

J.D.

Cool, I always dig your playing and tone jimmyace :salude

jimmyace2006

The TSRTS '73 version of No Quarter probably has my favourite Page solo ever. Well done! I really like the fuzziness you get on those notes in the neck spot when playing. When you get to the higher strings it cuts right through though. Very nice! Marshall VM right? I seem to recall you saying that at some time.:3zone

BTW, I am not trying to derail the thread; I think the Page AL3 pickups could serve as a nice proxy for the Custom Buckers, though the winding is a little different. If fact, since I can't get a Page AL3 magnet with zebra bobbins for my Page black beauty, I was planning to get a zebra Custom Bucker (like Sandy's) to put into it as soon as Gibson starts selling them separately.

Now to reply to your question. It is a 100 watt Marshall JCM 900 with a Marshall power brake; the amp is on the clean channel with gain on 7. When I use the same settings with a different guitar that has regular burstbuckers (AL2 magnet), it sounds a little too weak. But if I switch to the dirty channel, the burstbucker guitar sizzles. For the Page #2 LP, the dirty channel may present too much gain unless I turn the gain down....but then I still don't think I will have the tone I want. So basically, play the Page #2 (and Page double neck) on the clean channel, play my others on the dirty channel. Here is the Page doubleneck on the clean channel; it has 4 Page burstbuckers (AL3 magnet, Page winding), and I should note that the doulbe neck's toggle stays in the middle position when using each neck for this solo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hHSAGD3cYEU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And a Jimmy Page #1 LP with Page burstbuckers (AL3, Page winding) on the dirty channel:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/02shSL1X3yQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

jimmyace2006

thanks Todd!

DoctorMO

I used to own 9 1943 1959 Les Paul Standard and the totally original bridge pickup read 9.6 ohm and was the best bridge pickup I have ever heard. Vic Dapra can confirm this Just sayin'

randall

So far to the guys that now have 2013 Les pauls with these Custom buckers would you say they are staying in the guitar?