• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1976 Explorer (Vintage not Reissue)

Hey Guys! Your resident Skynyrd nut is back :biggrin:

I have a couple of questions on this one. Im curious first of all as to your guys opinions on 1976 explorers... Thoughts on playability, quality as a vintage geetar, and maybe just anyone's personal experiences with them.

Also, hopefully no will get annoyed with this question so bear with me :peace, if you had one would you or would you not add a short arm tremolo ala Allen Collins. You may think it is purely my obsession with him and his playing but in all honesty I always thought most explorers looked somewhat plain without a short trem. Obviously this is simply my opinion but I am curious as to yours. Please dont hate guys :spabout

Thanks,

Nick

P.S.

Im strictly talking about the vintage 1976 explorers, reissues of the 58 korina explorer. NOT the new 76 reissue. Thanks!

Pictures ALWAYS help...

0c06_12.jpg

1976-Gibson-Explorer-Natural-Big.jpg

shuie

I'm a fan. I've owned a couple of them and played a few more and they are easily some of the best Gibson guitars I've ever heard or played. Here's my current one (credit to j45 for the pictures)

Explorer-Marshall.jpg

hismak4.jpg

ex6web.jpg

skinner4.jpg

And here is my previous '76. Another forum member has this one now.

IMG_4010.JPG

Humbuck

I don't care too much for trems, but that is one bad ass Explorer I gotta say.:yah :yah :yah

Wow!!! Love those explorers man!!!! Damn!

All pictures are COMPLETELY welcome, i would love to see more guys!

Texas Blues

Shuie...I've seen that guitar posted before and every time I see it...I covet that guitar.

Salute', TB.

GreenBurst

A couple of years ago (?) Gibson released a natural finished Explorer with gold hardware and a maestro vibrato. Should be still around. I saw one in Dallas in '08 with an asking price of $1400. I might have been one of the those guitars of the month. Looked and played awesome.

Scott L

I was 15 in 1976 and wanted one bad - not even close on the money situtation. At age 17 I ended up with the next best thing - the last new Ibanez Destroyer in the NE - Drove close to 300 miles for it, and 30 years later still have it.

Picked up an 06 Gibson RI a little while back, but still looking for a 76er. Some day.

AndreasG

I have one of the original '76 LE. Those with the FAT necks, my bandmate has another one. We have Pat.Nr. Pickups on both, they play and sound great. I wouldn't add a Vibrola, for tuning stability. Great guitars, but kinda expensive these days
BTW, half of our setlist are songs from LS!

Anje

I like the 76 LE a lot too, and would second Shuie's comment before :salude
Among the very best Gibson's I've ever played, they really sing.
The neck is HUGE though, may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Here's former shuie's in the studio, killer guitar, man I miss it (now belongs to a buddy who had to have it when he played it for the first time.. :## )

76lepinstripes.jpg

keef

I was 15 in 1976 and wanted one bad - not even close on the money situtation. At age 17 I ended up with the next best thing - the last new Ibanez Destroyer in the NE - Drove close to 300 miles for it, and 30 years later still have it.

I had both - well, I borrowed the Destroyer for a long time from a friend before getting my '76. That Ibanez was a great guitar, well made (contrary to popular belief with an ash body) and with nice pickups, but when I played the '76 LE live for the first time I immediately forgot about the Ibanez...

Yes, the neck is big, but much more comfortable than the neck on my 03 R7 which is more like a canoe with a fingerboard stuck on.

Humbuck

A couple of years ago (?) Gibson released a natural finished Explorer with gold hardware and a maestro vibrato. Should be still around. I saw one in Dallas in '08 with an asking price of $1400. I might have been one of the those guitars of the month. Looked and played awesome.

LynyrdSkynyrd77...there's your answer. I'd find one of those.

Man, I'm on the hunt for one of them '76's!

shuie

I like the 76 LE a lot too, and would second Shuie's comment before

Anje, I'm trying to email you from three different email addresses and everything is getting returned....

Wow thanks everyone!

Yea I mean, I do like Guitar of the Week Explorers with the short trems but heres the deal... Maybe a month ago at the shop I work at they "found" a 1976 Gibson Explorer up in our repair guys room. (I nearly shit myself) So I'm trying to get a price on that. There are a couple un-original things on it: not original bridge pickup and changed tuners to grover minis and sadly its got a Nashville on it. But if I were to get it, its either this or the 58' flametop I posted a while back so its no easy decision... So thought I would come to you guys for help and opinions! Thanks again fellas :)

AndreasG

Get the Explorer, esp. if it's a Limited Edition. Historic Les Pauls are out there in masses.