• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why so little love for the Florentine?

trapland

Ya know... A florentine with Standard appointments might have been a better seller. You know. Rosewood board, small headstock, trap inlays, etc.

They made them. In 1996. Very few were made, maybe 5-10% Mine is one of them. My guitars twin in in the Netherlands somewhere. Wish he'd sell it to me. :)

florentine.jpg

Last edited:

MikeSlub

Administrator
1996 Gibson Custom limited run, Florentine Birdseye top with no F-Holes. :hank

1996_Gibson_Les_Paul_Florentine_No_F-Holes_Birdseye.JPG

asg612

That is a really sweet quilt and burst finish on your guitar Mike!

To me though....I really like the F-holes. Something just so sexy about f-holes.

Les Paul + F-holes = DROOL:wow

I do realize that most people here dont adhere to the above equation.

Still - its really nice to get good tone from a semi-hollow paul without the weight!

Best,

asg

BillyBling

I love them too!!!! I wish they had an ABR-1 though.....since I'm a Traditionalist!!!

b

bern1

I've always been curious about these guitars, as well as other Les Paul shaped semis like the Gibson ES 135.

The question is, how do they balance? Would I need too "hold up" the headstock with my left hand on a Florentine? That was the biggest turn off for the ES 135 I tried, the headstock kept falling. I kept looking through the f hole to see if I could put a big blob of lead down by the rear end pin and how I might do it without ruining the guitar.

MikeSlub

Administrator
I've always been curious about these guitars, as well as other Les Paul shaped semis like the Gibson ES 135.

The question is, how do they balance? Would I need too "hold up" the headstock with my left hand on a Florentine? That was the biggest turn off for the ES 135 I tried, the headstock kept falling. I kept looking through the f hole to see if I could put a big blob of lead down by the rear end pin and how I might do it without ruining the guitar.

Great question! Yes, they are somewhat "headstock heavy". The key is to use a wide cotton strap that doesn't slip down on your shoulder as readily as a thin leather one. :hank

trapland

Mike's right of course. The "Custom" appointed versions are really neck heavy. I had 2 of them and sold them both for just that reason. If you play a sticky strap its no problem. I play a 50's style strap and the thing dive bombed on me all the time.

The "Standard" versions (very rare) balance perfectly. Mine wieghs about 8 lbs. The routing inside on mine is very different than other semi-hollows. It loks like they leave the entire center 5" alone from the neck to the tail (except pickup routes of course). The just route out the sides. Many other semi's have mahogony removed at the tail as well. I believe the "Custom" style has the wood removed at the tail, like a es135 and others. That may help explain the balance on those.

One other thing. Mine has a long tenon. I love this guitar!
florentine.jpg

rhubarbred

I saw a band out of Philly a few months back called Mo Faux and one of the guitar players had a silver sparkle florentine that looked awesome on stage....I never got to ask him about it, wonder if it was a factory finish?

trapland

Sparkle top Florentines were all the rage in 1995-1996! Here's a scan of a photo of one I owned in 1996. It was a 1995"titanium sparkle" Kind of a silver/grey.

In 1995 Gibson called these guitars "bantams" My 1995 shown was called a "Bantam Elite" on the Gibson paperwork (Box sticker, tags). Supposedly, Gretch took issue with the bantam part since they were making a drumset under that name. The guitars were changed to the name FLORENTINE sometime in 1996.
If I remember right, the uncovered pickup was NOT stock, but one I threw in there. I bought this one new in 1996 (about $2800 then) and sold it the next year due to heavy headstock balance.

Variations I have seen in person:

Pale blue sparkle with f holes (custom style)
Pale Blue Sparkle no F holes (still hollow)
Pale pink sparkle with f holes (standard style)
Pale pink sparkle with DIAMOND HOLES! (custom style)
To the best of my recollection all of those models were monikered "Bantams" All four were shipped to 2 stores in the Minneapolis area. The titanium one I bought was from GC in MPLS.

I LOVE these guitars!! Even though I dont really dig the balance on the more common "custom" style ones. I REALLY want another standard!! But even after 15 years of searching and researching them, I have only seen 4! The one I own, its twin in the netherlands, the 1995 sparkle mentioned above and a gorgeous green flame standard that was owned by another LPF member and he sold.

Any other info about these guitars, ESPECIALLY the ones built in 1995-96 I would love to learn.

_20100111_21552201crop.jpg

Hammertone

...I LOVE these guitars!! Even though I dont really dig the balance on the more common "custom" style ones. I REALLY want another standard!! But even after 15 years of searching and researching them, I have only seen 4! The one I own, its twin in the netherlands, the 1995 sparkle mentioned above and a gorgeous green flame standard that was owned by another LPF member and he sold.

Any other info about these guitars, ESPECIALLY the ones built in 1995-96 I would love to learn.

Here (no affiliation):
http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-bantam-les-paul-standard-1995-brunswic
O. DiBella Music 456Music.com
(877) 634-2355
Year: 1995
Manufacturer: Gibson
Model: Bantam Les Paul Standard Custom Shop
Case: Hard
Color: Brunswick Blue
Condition: Brand New
Description: Gibson Bantam Les Paul Standard Custom Shop guitar in mint condition. Chambered mahogany body with rosewood fingerboard and gold hardware. Brunswick Blue finish. Serial #: 59227. Includes hardshell case. One of a kind prototype that never saw production!

Last edited:

fentonjames

if anyone is interested an epiphone les paul es (their version of the florentine) is on ebay right now. $100

wmarden

Sparkle top Florentines were all the rage in 1995-1996! Here's a scan of a photo of one I owned in 1996. It was a 1995"titanium sparkle" Kind of a silver/grey.

In 1995 Gibson called these guitars "bantams" My 1995 shown was called a "Bantam Elite" on the Gibson paperwork (Box sticker, tags). Supposedly, Gretch took issue with the bantam part since they were making a drumset under that name. The guitars were changed to the name FLORENTINE sometime in 1996.
If I remember right, the uncovered pickup was NOT stock, but one I threw in there. I bought this one new in 1996 (about $2800 then) and sold it the next year due to heavy headstock balance.

Variations I have seen in person:

Pale blue sparkle with f holes (custom style)
Pale Blue Sparkle no F holes (still hollow)
Pale pink sparkle with f holes (standard style)
Pale pink sparkle with DIAMOND HOLES! (custom style)
To the best of my recollection all of those models were monikered "Bantams" All four were shipped to 2 stores in the Minneapolis area. The titanium one I bought was from GC in MPLS.

I LOVE these guitars!! Even though I dont really dig the balance on the more common "custom" style ones. I REALLY want another standard!! But even after 15 years of searching and researching them, I have only seen 4! The one I own, its twin in the netherlands, the 1995 sparkle mentioned above and a gorgeous green flame standard that was owned by another LPF member and he sold.

_20100111_21552201crop.jpg

Thread might be dead but Here's mine...
246683_10150266750253669_7120965_n.jpg

fender69

^ Very cool guitar..and for those who complain about a resurrecting a "dead" thread, I guess they assume there is nothing more to be seen or learned. Very pretty guitar.

fafnir

Hello everyone,

As there seems to have been variations about the Florentine, I thought I could contribute to this thread with my 1996 custom shop LP based on a Florentine, but without the f holes.
It is a hollow body (not just "chambered" or weight relieved), in trans cherry, a great guitar to look at and to play. The hollow body makes the guitar sound brighter than a standard LP. As I was looking for a smoother lead tone (getting old), I swapped the classic 57 for Dr Vintage several years ago.
I am currently considering testing a P94 neck pickup, just for fun.

Here are a few pictures. I couldn't resist to add her "cousin", a hollow body 1968 Guild Bluesbird that is just magic.

fwlg7q.jpg

23gzgbk.jpg

2hzq1k0.jpg

ajay taylor

On the "Daryl's House" show this week, they were at Todd Rundgren's house on Kauai. Deryl was playing a small, vintage ES-135 I think. It made me think of the Florentines.
It had the most beautiful dark burst, it just gave me instant gas. I thought that Todd probably had it displayed on a wall, and Daryl asked if he could play it. He was strumming VERY softly, as if it was a borrowed treasure. It was nothing short of a beautiful work of art.
I think my next and last ( I always say that) is going to be a Florentine, or a 135 like Daryl was playing. Gibson has made some awesome guitars in its time, and IMO the Florentine is one of them.

trapland

On the "Daryl's House" show this week, they were at Todd Rundgren's house on Kauai. Deryl was playing a small, vintage ES-135 I think. It made me think of the Florentines.
It had the most beautiful dark burst, it just gave me instant gas. I thought that Todd probably had it displayed on a wall, and Daryl asked if he could play it. He was strumming VERY softly, as if it was a borrowed treasure. It was nothing short of a beautiful work of art.
I think my next and last ( I always say that) is going to be a Florentine, or a 135 like Daryl was playing. Gibson has made some awesome guitars in its time, and IMO the Florentine is one of them.

Could he have been playing an ES175? I don't think there is a vintage es135. Others can confirm but I think they introduced them in the 90s.