• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sperzel Locking Tuners on my Les Paul, should I

bookemdano

"No point, if you use the stringing method where the string "locks/ties" itself to the post you can get away with only one wind around the post and therefore no tuning instablity."

Point taken:salude and I ALWAYS do that way on any of my other guitars where I don't bend behind the nut and usually have pretty much no prob - just that I bend behind the nut on my lp and even if ya have stretched those strings in the night b4, if you are then say playin to in a 400plus venue and its rammed and super sweaty in there, the moisture in the air will cause a few tunning issues every now and again however tight and however you wrap em, again hence why I use the locking heads on my main axe - plus string changes are ultra quick, so you can get whoever travels with you to do your string change that damn quick that you only need to use your spare guitar for say one, max two songs before your 'no 1' main guitar is ready. :)

They can be tone suckers those Spertzels too, but personally for me - and everyone is different - I gotta compromise for some gigs - depends which band I'm playing with n which gig :) Try em n If ya dont like em you can always put the others back on , and were not talking major hacking here either so I kinda figure ya can't lose and at least you have gained some insight and some knowlege in the process :salude

John B.

I put locking Grovers on my R8. I just didn't drill the hole any deeper than necessary so I can put Klusons back on if needed. They work great and are a classic look. The only difference is the posts are a little longer.

kingb

I just put a set on. I like them much better than kluson or grovers. When you turn the key there isn't any play unlike the others where I can sometimes turn a 1/4 to 1/2 turn before the tuning changes. Also I like the quick string changes - I use 11's and have not had a need to drill.

cool hand luc

I would do it.

And why not put them on any Les Paul? Historics are dime a dozen. If it's your work horse and you ain't gonna sell it then put it on them. I have them on one of my guitarsand love them. I will probably put them on my next LP.

do it. *nod* do it.

chasbo

Do it if you need the tuning stability and for fast string changes. I was looking at getting a set of planet waves tuners for my 335 since it is my number one player for those reasons.

hellhound

I know most people do not like to hack on a lP, but dosen't functionality mean more than looks?

I'm glad you brought that up because I have a confession to make.
IMHO the answer is NO. I admit that it is the look of an original les paul that inspires me to play it. Functionality does not inspire me. I don't own a paul reed smith because it does not inspire me to play it. I have played PRS's and if you want functionality it doesn't get any better than a PRS. The classic look of an original gibson inspires me to play it. I have had lots of guitars and have had sperzels and others installed on many of them, I have regretted it every time. I no longer mess with that stuff anymore. I buy what inspires me to play and then keep it that way.

Bluefinger

I see no benefit of putting Sperzels on a Les Paul ad IMHO they ruin the looks. Some Gibsons have tuning issues, especially on the G-string but it's never the fault of the tuner, unless they are leally defective. It's more a problem of the long afterlenght between the nut and the tuner and the sharp breaking angle sideways behind the nut. Even the lowly Klusons are second to none on a non tremolo guitar. If you really need locking tuners, then you could use those that look exactly like the Klusons but have an internal locking mechanism. I think they are made by Gotoh. They fit into the original holes and the classic look remains.

maidenstrat

I was going to put them on one of my standards mainly because I am lazy and hate string changes, i never had tning issues i always changed strings properly but like i said i was lazy. Anyway after experiencing locking tuners on my PRS i was sold on them. However i went with the Grovers as my standard had them anyway and so no drilling required and the Grovers look cool on a les paul.

Jurius

I see no benefit of putting Sperzels on a Les Paul ad IMHO they ruin the looks. Some Gibsons have tuning issues, especially on the G-string but it's never the fault of the tuner, unless they are leally defective. It's more a problem of the long afterlenght between the nut and the tuner and the sharp breaking angle sideways behind the nut. Even the lowly Klusons are second to none on a non tremolo guitar. If you really need locking tuners, then you could use those that look exactly like the Klusons but have an internal locking mechanism. I think they are made by Gotoh. They fit into the original holes and the classic look remains.

+1

The only advantage I see for a LP is quicker string changes. Just not worth it.

dege

Les Paul Froum Member
I see no benefit of putting Sperzels on a Les Paul ad IMHO they ruin the looks. If you really need locking tuners, then you could use those that look exactly like the Klusons but have an internal locking mechanism. I think they are made by Gotoh. They fit into the original holes and the classic look remains.

That's exactly what I did with my strat. The Gotoh locking tuners are not that far off the look of the original.

I had tuning problems with my elegant but that was because Gibson, for some reason can't set up the nut very well on many guitar's. :bigal They are notorious for lame quality control. :fu New bone nut and the problem went away. Thank you Gibson for being so arrogant. :pisd :fu

Marshall Man

I think i'm going to put the Sperzels on my 89 LP STD vice my 05 Faded STD; I don't have tuning issues, but i'm lazy when it comes to string changes:)

Dire Wolf

I hate those locking Sperzels: 1. I've had 2 of them lock up on me where the guide pin was jammed up top and could not be removed. Terrible design flaw! 2. The thumb screw is a pain to use/tighten. 3. They're hideous looking.

Don't do it!!!