• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dj Ashba's custom Les Pauls

grimlyflick

Yes, there are some decent tunes on there, but why the heck not just make a solo record? No one would have given him ANY crap if he had just called it "AXL".

That is very true...........I reckon Chinese Democracy would've been received with a much more open mind by the masses if it had been released as a solo album, or under a different band name. Certainly with none of the stigma of the "it's not G'n'R without Slash, Izzy and Duff" debate.

On a side note, yeah putting cigarettes out on a LP is dumb, as is nailing bottle caps to it (Zakk), ruining the guts with a smoke bomb (Ace), ruining the guitars tone by putting a B-bender in it (Page), setting it on fire (Jimi), selling it to fund a drug habit (Slash/Perry), the list goes on. But at the end of the day it's their guitar to do with it as they please. Personally I find some of the care regimes that some guys employ to be a little OTT, but hey, if thats how they want to treat their guitars, fair do's.

Me? I just play them and try to keep them as nice as possible without wrapping them in cotton wool and worrying where the next scratch is coming from.

At the end of the day, the guy is still a great player/writer/producer, just so long as you can look past a few cigarette burns. Hell, at least he's not just smashing them up (Townsend). :)

:salude

Last edited:

grimlyflick

So now having an opinion about something that everyone else doesn't necessarily agree with means I'm as much of a loon as stock_hippie?

Oh dear, thank you for your contribution. :yawn

Cliff Gress

Hell, at least he's not just smashing them up (Townsend)

When I saw Townsend smash his SG at Cobo Hall in 1970, I looked at it as a sacrifice to whatever gods rock serves, it didn't seem senseless. That guitar will never play again...it fulfilled its purpose that night on stage.

frazettafan

When I saw Townsend smash his SG at Cobo Hall in 1970, I looked at it as a sacrifice to whatever gods rock serves so, it didn't seem senseless. That guitar will never play again...it fulfilled its purpose that night on stage.

I saw him do the same thing at a festival around the same time and thought "...what an ill-tempered, badly-attired, big-nosed twat, maybe if he could express himself a little better with it, it wouldn't have to be destroyed so senslessly". I couldn't have imagined Menuhin doing the same with a violin?

And as for "I looked at it as a sacrifice to whatever gods rock serves...." - give me a break. What ''God's"?? Sound's like the sort of thing Townshend would have said to excuse it.

Last edited:

frazettafan

Well, me too Cliff. But I couldn't see anything romantic, much less musical in what a boiler-suited Townshend (or Hendrix) did to those expensive guitars. I couldn't afford anything like that at the time and it seemed just bloody stupid. And 'Romantic' - I often think of my guitar as the only friend I have onstage sometimes, especially at 'Jam Nites' for example. It's the only thing I can rely on and I feel a close bond with it. To thank the thing later by smashing to pieces it or stubbing cigarettes out on it seems kind of bad to me?

Last edited:

jerns

I'll probably get shit on for this but....... Is putting cigarettes out on your guitar any worse than using razor blades and heat guns etc to "age" it? Same tragedy IMO.

StSpider

hmmm. that rig was way to complicated for me. looked to complicated for DJ as well. he knew nothing about his gutiars or his rig. he had to have his tech explain that he was using rs pots. but thats probably why he is a famous guitarist and im not. i spend too much time on this site instead of just playing.

On the other hand that Fortus guy seems to know his rig inside out. AND he's a pretty terrific player!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xN2UuwUk8g

stock_hippie

Les Paul Froum Member
i played a R8 in San francisco last year and i couldn't tell the different between it and my Epiphone..

Killadilla

his guitars are the ones paired with limited edition harleys. a little to suburban for me...to each his own though(but its kinda ridiculous ha)

laterider

As much as I hate the thought of it, the cig burnt one is the best lookin of the bunch...