Les Paul Forum

Les Paul Forum (http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Historic District (http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Put a coat of WAX on that Historic finish? (http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114228)

MikeG59 07-04-06 05:59 AM

Put a coat of WAX on that Historic finish?

many years ago I thought nothing of opening up my can of carnuba car wax and putting a coat on my 1969 les paul custom. I wonder if there is a WAX, not a polish that would be safe for the finishes on our Historic models.

Todd Louis 07-04-06 06:06 AM

Re: Put a coat of WAX on that Historic finish?

don't use anything on my Guitars
But if I have to clean them I use Virtuoso Cleaner not polish
and NEVER SLICON ANYTHING

Todd Louis 07-04-06 06:06 AM

kerryboy 07-04-06 06:16 AM

Why would you want to do that

MikeG59 07-04-06 06:25 AM

wax will fill any swirls and keep arm marks down

E.Fisher 07-04-06 07:04 AM

I have used car polish for 27 years on a 79 LP Deluxe that I bought new and still own. I haven't seen any ill effects. I use it on my historics too. Works great. I use it about once a year just to maintain the finish and get the sweat build up where my arm rests off.

PixelBurst 07-04-06 09:13 AM

Polishing guitars is gay. You think guys Page, Clapton, Angus or Slash sit a round polishing guitars? It's not very rock n roll. Just play the damn thing! It's going to some wear unless you leave it in the case untouched anyway.

MikeG59 07-04-06 09:33 AM

Pixel,

There are obviously two kinds of guitar enthusiast: players who don't give crap about the condition and care of their instruments and those who do. You can still play the crap out your guitar and take extra care in keeping it as mint as possible hence when time comes to sell or exchange it, I for example would get a premium over you in value. You can keep your cash under the matress (0% interest) or put in a CD.

PixelBurst 07-04-06 09:58 AM

I know, I'm just bustin' balls.

I don't abuse my R9's, but the most I do is wipe down the back of the neck after playing. The two I have are keepers, so I don't care about resale value. If you're a constant guitar swapper then keeping it mint is probably a good idea.

MikeG59 07-04-06 10:26 AM

agreed, but at some point condition might come into play even for keepers. Good luck and enjoy em

Cogswell 07-04-06 12:11 PM

I've used a quality carnuba car wax for years on my guitars & it works great. You can buy a tin of it that contains x4 of what you would get at a music store for the same price (& you might even pay more at the music store!). If you get your polish at the auto parts store just make sure you're buying the good stuff.

BluesForDan 07-04-06 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cogswell
I've used a quality carnuba car wax for years on my guitars & it works great. You can buy a tin of it that contains x4 of what you would get at a music store for the same price (& you might even pay more at the music store!). If you get your polish at the auto parts store just make sure you're buying the good stuff.

Robert, I've been thinking about doing that. I got a nice R9 about a month ago, and its already dulling where my right arm touches (I have super villian acid sweat, I swear:bug ). I wish I could be so cavalier about my guitar that I could say 'so what', but I'm realistic in that I will probably have to sell it in the not so distant future. I'd like to enjoy it now in spite of the warm weather while I still have it. When you say make sure you buy the good stuff, what specifically makes a polish good stuff vs what should be avoided?

I figured this was about as good an expenditure of my 6,000th post as any.

Plankspanker 07-04-06 05:24 PM

"You think guys Page, Clapton, Angus or Slash sit a round polishing guitars? "

They all have Guitar Techs that take care of their instruments, string changes after most gigs, action and fret adjustments, and cleaning them after shows.

Bluesslinger 07-04-06 05:59 PM

Anyone remember the old Tres Amigos polishing kits? Came with 2 grades of compound and a bottle of carnuba wax. Really great product! I use to use that 'til they stopped production...then I discovered Virtuoso and didn't think twice about what used to be. The cleaner alone works wonders on a nitro finish and on a Murphy, Tom suggests that you use only Naptha to clean. I don't use much of either anymore; just wipe it down good before I put a guitar back in it's case and away I go..........

holygrail 07-04-06 06:08 PM

I used to use the Blue Coral kit in the late 70's and 80's.
It came with a cleaner and Carnauba wax.
Great stuff ! It would clean all of the crudd off and make
it shine, shine, shine .

I likes mines to shines !

GuffMorgan 07-04-06 06:20 PM

I polish my guitars once every couple of months with carnauba, usually when I'm bored. To those that complain about the dullness of the finish on the VOS line, use carnauba, the very first time I tried it it polished the guitar to a nice shine and from that point on the only way it looks old is pickup swirling on the pickguard and the hardware aging.

As far as Angus, Clapton, Page, Hendrix, etc. polishing their guitars, how do you know they didn't? They very well could have been very anal about keeping their guitars clean since they saw so much use, kind of a deterant against degradation so that they could use the guitars for as long as possible? :)

PixelBurst 07-04-06 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankspanker
"You think guys Page, Clapton, Angus or Slash sit a round polishing guitars? "

They all have Guitar Techs that take care of their instruments, string changes after most gigs, action and fret adjustments, and cleaning them after shows.

Sure they have techs to keep them in perfect working order, but none of their heavily gigged guitars have a shiny finish any more. I've seen some of Slash's up close and all his guitars have dull finishes, nicks, scratches and dulled hardware.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuffMorgan
As far as Angus, Clapton, Page, Hendrix, etc. polishing their guitars, how do you know they didn't? They very well could have been very anal about keeping their guitars clean since they saw so much use, kind of a deterant against degradation so that they could use the guitars for as long as possible?

Regular polish is abrasive and actually slowly wears away your finish, I have no idea about wax though.

As I said before, if you're a chronic guitar swapper then it's probably best to keep 'em all nice and shiny for the next guy.