• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How does a headstock repair affect price?

Captain Jack

Specifically, I am trying to get an idea how much a headstock repair decreases the value of a guitar. I am looking at a couple of used regular standards (i.e. not custom shop) and not "vintage" which have had professional headstock repairs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Allen Collins

I would expect to pay less than half the value for a damaged guitar than if undamaged.
I would also assume that I would then be stuck with it forever. Unless you are looking at playing around with it, changing pickups etc. on a regular basis and using it as a test bed so to speak, personally I would not entertain one.

This is purely from a financial point of view, as I would trust a pro repair job.:2zone

Dire Wolf

I would treat a headstock repair like a refin: 1/2 off(MINIMUM) an otherwise structurally sound guitar. I would never feel comfortable with a repaired headstock, however. I would pass on it and try and find a guitar with as few issues as possible.

shuie

One of the best guitars I've ever played in my life has an ugly headstock repair and cost the owner ~$600. Id probably sell every guitar I own for this particular guitar, but the current owner will never let it go at any price.

treeofpain

So are you guys saying the market price for a $1500 LP Standard with a professional hs repair is $750? I disagree.

If it has been pro redone, I think the value is higher. It is hard to express as a percentage of the value because I think it is different with each guitar.

I have a black LP Custom with a hs repair. You can't see it unless you look very closely, and you can't feel it at all. I think the difference would be less in this case versus, say, a guitar with a translucent finish where the repair is more obvious.

Also, with the lower priced LP's like the BFG, a well done hs repair probably won't cut the value in half, since the market price of a used one is already pretty low.

My 69 GT has a PRO head stock repair (amoungst other things)
Still sounds and play's great, with no tuning problems
Cost me allot less than one in good condition
Hard to quantify the discount because it is also routed for humbuckers and has the GT finish stripped

Danny

Les Paul Forum Member, Formerly Musicinmysoul
So are you guys saying the market price for a $1500 LP Standard with a professional hs repair is $750? I disagree.

If it has been pro redone, I think the value is higher. It is hard to express as a percentage of the value because I think it is different with each guitar.

I have a black LP Custom with a hs repair. You can't see it unless you look very closely, and you can't feel it at all. I think the difference would be less in this case versus, say, a guitar with a translucent finish where the repair is more obvious.

Also, with the lower priced LP's like the BFG, a well done hs repair probably won't cut the value in half, since the market price of a used one is already pretty low.

Standards aren't 1500 anymore, try 2300. So you're looking at 1150.

DanD

I would treat a headstock repair like a refin: 1/2 off(MINIMUM) an otherwise structurally sound guitar. I would never feel comfortable with a repaired headstock, however. I would pass on it and try and find a guitar with as few issues as possible.

+1 On the headstock repair aspect. I recently, within a year and a half, sold a Trans Purple 1991 Classic Plus through ebay which had a headstock repair. The repair was stable but visible due to the Trans finish on the neck. At the time the few Trans Purple Classics that were sold were selling for between 1200 for a player to 1500 or so for a nice clean example. None of the local shops even considered it for a trade, if that tells you anything...

Mine sold for 658 on a ten day auction with all the original paperwork including receipts and the OHSC. A little more than half of the low end at the time. The listing had a ton of clear pics and the guitar was in otherwise very good condition with no buckle wear, glossy finish and just a couple small finish chips.

As far as playing goes, it was a good player. But the neck was on the thin side, even for a Classic, and not as much to my liking as the Standard 50s or R0 carve. For the price of a complete neck replacement to a more comfortable carve (also a devaluing prospect) and the sale price I was able to purchase my R7. Just my two cents...

nmcinc

http://www.laysguitar.com/projectguitar.asp

what if is done this well?

AtomEve

Les Paul Forum Member
Case by case basis........... there is no magic formula..... :salude

Bryan

Marshall Man

I have a 89 LP STD that one of my kids knocked of the stand back in 98 and put a split near the base of the headstock. I had the neck repaired and never had an issue with the guitar since. Headstock repair may take some money off but it isn't the end of the world if the guitar was good in the first place.

77CUSTOM

I just bought a studio lite for $610 shipped off of the bay. Looks like crap, plays great. I'm going to check the repair after I sand it down and then refinish it. I've seen many les pauls with headstock repair (none of them mine) but, they all were very stable. I even repaired a couple of them and they are still holding. The value may go down but it doesn't hurt the tone.

led zep fan

Banned
I bought a headstock repaired LP a few years ago. The "professionally repaired" headstock snapped two times. After fixing it a third time, I unloaded it "as is" for $750. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Allen Collins

:hmm I think this recently sold item 170104882241 by a dealer on ebay sums it up.

Don,t fancy buying this other one though :fc
:wow
parry.jpg

ampdan

Gary Rossington's original standard has a headstock repair, so does the Peter Green guitar.:hmm

J.D.

All else equal, a pro headstock repair *generally* does not quite knock 50% off, more like 30-35%, at least from what I have seen over the years. I've played some great sounding guitars with glued headstock cracks, didn't seem to affect the tone or playing, and most will say the joint is stronger than the parent wood if done properly.

Before anyone goes off on me, ask yourself this. Let's say you are looking at a brand new Historic at GC for $4000. Let's say, hypothetically, the exact same guitar, same weight and figure, etc. is hanging next to it, only this one was knocked off a stand the very first time it was held. It was a "clean" break and repaired professionally by Gibson authorized warranty repair, so clean it's almost not detectable. How much is it worth? I'd easily pay more than $2k for it.