• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Craig Chaquico's quest to get his stolen '59 Gibson Sunburst Les Paul guitar back

zhivago

I've had a vintage guitar stolen in the past and then actually recovered a few months later (too long of a story really!), so in a way, I know how Craig feels!

Hope his guitar comes back to him asap! :salude

Cody

Boy howdy, what a string of untruths in that story.

I am "the other guy", and my identity as the owner of 9-2180 has to be one of the worst kept secrets on this Forum. I included it in the LPF vintage gallery weeks after receiving it in 2005, so the "top names" of the Forum (then and now) have known exactly who owns it.

As for me "hiding behind aliases", it's a bit like accusing Bob Zimmerman of hiding behind the name "Dylan" online (except, obviously, a difference in the level of fame). More people know me by my professional last name Cody than by my real, Finnish, long, harder-to-spell name. Both have been posted on this and other Forums, so I am not, nor have I been, "hiding". For years, fans of mine have been able to find me, here and elsewhere, without hiring private eyes.

At no point have I ever said to Craig or his representatives "It's obviously your guitar and I want to give it back".

At no point has Craig offered me another burst (or a red cent, for that matter). If that's a real offer, I'm all ears.

It is against the law to disclose what happens at a mediation, so I'm not allowed to tell you WHY negotiations failed. Believe me, I wish I could.

I'm referred to as a "collector" in that piece. I am not, nor have I ever previously been called, a collector. I am a working musician who didn't have as charmed a career as Craig. Sure, I had a few videos on MTV, some radio play, some fun tours... but I was never in a worldwide household name band. We never had a "We Built This City". When my father-in-law passed away, my wife and I used that inheritance to buy my dream guitar. Simple as that. It's insulting and deliberately misleading for Craig to suggest that we bought it as an investment. He, on the other hand, is obsessed with its value, and the somewhat delusional notion that his celebrity makes it even more valuable.

I know why he's referring to me as a collector, though. We're all familiar with the perception that vintage guitars have been priced out of the hands of "real" musicians by those evil Collectors. Referring to me as a Collector is the only way he can make himself appear to be the underdog in this story, instead of the Big Star Bullying A Struggling Working Musician.

In the article, Craig seems to think that I can make this case go away at the last minute. I can't. The truth of this sordid tale is that I'm stuck in the middle. Craig isn't interested in doing right by me, nor is the dealer who sold it to me. Either of them could end this tomorrow. In lieu of that, the court will have to determine who the rightful owner is - and trust me, the answer is nowhere near as clearcut as Craig would have you believe. A worldwide household name band doesn't go on a European tour uninsured. If he has already been compensated for the loss, he can't double-dip just because he found out 35 years later how much they have gone up.

Craig mentions his legal costs to date. Well, my wife and I have the same costs, and we're far less equipped to afford them. Like I said, my career never included a "We Built This City". This case might end up burying us financially, and there's nothing we can do about it.

I have been largely absent from this Forum since this whole mess started, because it sure sucks the fun out of the whole burst thing. I was going to tell the whole story here after it was all said and done, but since this self-serving, deliberately misrepresentative piece of fluff has found its way to the Forum, I can't let it stand uncontested.

Harry Cody

JBLPplayer

Sorry to hear that your guitar has turned into such a nightmare Harry.. I wish you the best with it and the whole saga.
Thanks for sharing the information.
Joe B

Last edited:

fjminor

Chaquico says."But I’m ready to play the guitar in front of a jury if I have to" -

I am sorry, I am no legal eagle, but wtf is that going to prove?:laugh2: I feel bad for you Cody and my thoughts to you holding your ground and winning .

DoubleBoogie

Wow! A perfect illustration of how easily "stories" on the internet get started. It was posted on the Les Paul Society page on Facebook and immediately everyone chimed in by piling on the evil collector. I actually came over here to share it and saw that someone already had. I have to admit that I fell for the "story" too.. I hope it all works out for the best for you.

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Cody...what dealer sold it to you? Is he included in the lawsuit?

BURSTGANG

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.............. its a awful thing for both parties involved. Craig had his guitar stolen and a guitar that you bought legally and now own ..............I'm sure paid $$$$ for is being asked to be returned. Different people and different guitars but this reminds me of the battle between Ronnie Montrose and Gary Moore when Ronnie found out that Gary owned HIS stolen Sunburst Les Paul which was also taken off a stage during a concert.Both those fine guitarists have now passed.................Gary due to health issues and Ronnie by his own hand.I hope it all works out for both of you.:hank

Last edited:

sws1

Yikes - what a mess. Hope it works out for all involved.

geddy402

Cody, thanks for posting that. Like most of these situations, there's always two sides to the story. I hope it works out for the best.

JBLPplayer

Here's a fun fact... Grace caused the riot on live GERMAN TV after coming out onstage drunk and essentially calling the audience Nazis and bragging about who won the war. The article and information on Craig's site says she was too ill to perform. That's not entirely accurate. I've played that gig and have seen the footage from Rockpalast. Quite a trip to have 8000 people turn on you. The front row and the stage are basically on the same level. It is a natural amphitheater. I do believe Leo Kottke and The Average White were on the bill as well. Unfortunate circumstance for everyone it seems.
Joe B

Kris Ford

Hmm.
I'll be watching this one..
Maybe CD can translate the "Legalese" and tell us what is actually legally feasible here..
No sides taken, just interest.:biggrin:

How I read all of this..
CC was legal owner.
His property was deemed "destroyed" by riot? Like, here is a pile of charred remnants of gear..did he assume that the LP was in the ashes?
If so, was it still his property if he stopped searching for it?
At what point did it not become CC's property any more?
Why would he search for something he deemed destroyed by fire? Or was the thought of theft there too? Seems the theft idea may have only been after the thought that someone physically had it, which makes sense.

T.Allen

What an expensive mess! I sincerely hope that you come out of this without too many battle scars. My very best wishes!

marfen

Talk about posting during "Musician Daylight Savings TIme".
Cool playing on Stu Hamm's album, Harry.
Makes me sick thinking about saving and dreaming for that "Rock n Roll Strad" , family loss/legacy, and then this happens.
Stolen bursts that resurface, a story so many in the "burst community" have had to deal with.
Lawyers will be the winners here sadly.

Sure hope this gets resolved fairly.

sunburst1

Ownership of guitars like this isn't for the faint at heart. Feel for you Harry , hope it works out & you get to keep it. :jim

This is one of the many drawbacks of owning one or more of these guitars.

Guessing one has to keep funds set aside to battle situations like this.

jimmi

Boy howdy, what a string of untruths in that story.

I am "the other guy", and my identity as the owner of 9-2180 has to be one of the worst kept secrets on this Forum. I included it in the LPF vintage gallery weeks after receiving it in 2005, so the "top names" of the Forum (then and now) have known exactly who owns it.

As for me "hiding behind aliases", it's a bit like accusing Bob Zimmerman of hiding behind the name "Dylan" online (except, obviously, a difference in the level of fame). More people know me by my professional last name Cody than by my real, Finnish, long, harder-to-spell name. Both have been posted on this and other Forums, so I am not, nor have I been, "hiding". For years, fans of mine have been able to find me, here and elsewhere, without hiring private eyes.

At no point have I ever said to Craig or his representatives "It's obviously your guitar and I want to give it back".

At no point has Craig offered me another burst (or a red cent, for that matter). If that's a real offer, I'm all ears.

It is against the law to disclose what happens at a mediation, so I'm not allowed to tell you WHY negotiations failed. Believe me, I wish I could.

I'm referred to as a "collector" in that piece. I am not, nor have I ever previously been called, a collector. I am a working musician who didn't have as charmed a career as Craig. Sure, I had a few videos on MTV, some radio play, some fun tours... but I was never in a worldwide household name band. We never had a "We Built This City". When my father-in-law passed away, my wife and I used that inheritance to buy my dream guitar. Simple as that. It's insulting and deliberately misleading for Craig to suggest that we bought it as an investment. He, on the other hand, is obsessed with its value, and the somewhat delusional notion that his celebrity makes it even more valuable.

I know why he's referring to me as a collector, though. We're all familiar with the perception that vintage guitars have been priced out of the hands of "real" musicians by those evil Collectors. Referring to me as a Collector is the only way he can make himself appear to be the underdog in this story, instead of the Big Star Bullying A Struggling Working Musician.

In the article, Craig seems to think that I can make this case go away at the last minute. I can't. The truth of this sordid tale is that I'm stuck in the middle. Craig isn't interested in doing right by me, nor is the dealer who sold it to me. Either of them could end this tomorrow. In lieu of that, the court will have to determine who the rightful owner is - and trust me, the answer is nowhere near as clearcut as Craig would have you believe. A worldwide household name band doesn't go on a European tour uninsured. If he has already been compensated for the loss, he can't double-dip just because he found out 35 years later how much they have gone up.

Craig mentions his legal costs to date. Well, my wife and I have the same costs, and we're far less equipped to afford them. Like I said, my career never included a "We Built This City". This case might end up burying us financially, and there's nothing we can do about it.

I have been largely absent from this Forum since this whole mess started, because it sure sucks the fun out of the whole burst thing. I was going to tell the whole story here after it was all said and done, but since this self-serving, deliberately misrepresentative piece of fluff has found its way to the Forum, I can't let it stand uncontested.

Harry Cody

I think he has made a mistake by stating in this article he has offered to replace this guitar with another comperable burst plus money. 1) that suggests he accepts you have a degree of ownership and that 2) you have a right to compensation even if the court decides the guitar should be returned. It also defacto establishes a minimum bargining position. If you have good representation, they should be able to use his own words in this article for your benefit.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Another stolen guitar story that I know more details about but am not free to disclose.
There has been years of attempting to straighten out this whole mess and more frustration for Cody than most anybody should have to live with.

The legal side of this whole ordeal is also a complicated mess [or nightmare].
Stolen in Germany, so German law plays a part.
That guitar has gone through numerous hands before Cody.
I featured it as a Burst Pic of the Week at least once, years ago. Maybe someone can find that thread?
Hiding in plain sight.

I would love to see the original theft report [probably in German] and see whether the serial number was reported at the time.

The dealer Cody got it from is something I won't reveal, but he is well known here. I am positive that he had no indication of this stolen background at the time.

A fine example of how a "theft" can create multiple victims, even years later.

Still hoping Cody gets a decent solution. :salude

garywright

Chaquico says."But I’m ready to play the guitar in front of a jury if I have to" -

I am sorry, I am no legal eagle, but wtf is that going to prove?:laugh2: I feel bad for you Cody and my thoughts to you holding your ground and winning .

+1 ...and the
"But I’m ready to play the guitar in front of a jury if I have to." ..is just too much ! :hee