• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Looking to get to the next level

Markypizz

Hey guys, new to the forum!:eek:la I'm primarily a drummer but have been picking up guitar the last couple years. Got a dsl40c with a creamback, and clipped the c19 capacitor, and the thing sounds incredible. Also just picked up an epiphone 1960s tribute plus with gibson 57 classic pups. I'm super thrilled with the tone I've got, so I think I'm great in that department, but I'm struggling to see where to go now in terms of my playing. I can solo fairly okay, sticking primarily in the minor pentatonic, but I usually like to experiment within the scale rather than stick to certain "licks" as I hate the sound of my playing becoming stale. However my speed is poor (of course speed is not the answer!), but I am looking for things to practice to try to lift my playing to another level, whether it be speed or technique exercises. I really dig that stereotypical rock and roll gibson+marshall tone and style, love the smoothness of those like Slash, ac/dc, Page, but also the versatility of someone like Jeff Beck. At the same time, I ogle over eric johnsons ripping pentatonic virtuosity.

So I'd consider myself an intermediate player, where can I go from where I am at now? I never took formal lessons and can't really afford to do so, but I want to challenge myself and branch out as much as I can.

Mark

Karldoog

Hey guys, new to the forum!:eek:la I'm primarily a drummer but have been picking up guitar the last couple years. Got a dsl40c with a creamback, and clipped the c19 capacitor, and the thing sounds incredible. Also just picked up an epiphone 1960s tribute plus with gibson 57 classic pups. I'm super thrilled with the tone I've got, so I think I'm great in that department, but I'm struggling to see where to go now in terms of my playing. I can solo fairly okay, sticking primarily in the minor pentatonic, but I usually like to experiment within the scale rather than stick to certain "licks" as I hate the sound of my playing becoming stale. However my speed is poor (of course speed is not the answer!), but I am looking for things to practice to try to lift my playing to another level, whether it be speed or technique exercises. I really dig that stereotypical rock and roll gibson+marshall tone and style, love the smoothness of those like Slash, ac/dc, Page, but also the versatility of someone like Jeff Beck. At the same time, I ogle over eric johnsons ripping pentatonic virtuosity.

So I'd consider myself an intermediate player, where can I go from where I am at now? I never took formal lessons and can't really afford to do so, but I want to challenge myself and branch out as much as I can.

Mark
I've been teaching for 30+ years, and I'm sorry to say that what you need is a good teacher, that you can question, and one who knows his stuff. You really can't learn online, for free. You get what you pay for. I have a TON of students like you who can't get past what the free online players-posing-as-teachers could show them in a 5 minute video. It's just the truth--you get what you pay for, and if you want real schooling, you have to find a teacher and pay him for his knowledge.

gavindale

Karldoog is correct. I couldn't have put it better. Same experience here with the students that come to me.

I would only only add the thought that you keep your instructor options open. You might be blessed and find the perfect teacher for you on the first shot but it never hurts to explore a few. I provide all of my prospective students with a free first visit where I explain in depth what and how I am going to teach them and encourage questions. Ask any perspective teacher what and how they teach. If they can't answer those 2 questions......

Good Luck!

latestarter

I really need a good teacher....one that can shift between jazz and traditional rock/blues. One that knows the major/minor transitional scales. Where I live that's like stumbling over a Unicorn making love to an Elf under a rainbow with a pot of gold at the end.

Alvarez

Originally Posted by CranfieldStudent
I'm an intermediate guitar player and songwriter / freelance
essay writer for hire in the UK. I need to imrpove my guitar skills, as we're again on a lockdown and I'm studying online (Cranfield University, majoring in Creative Arts & Design), I've some time to practice. Where can I register for the cheap advanced level courses?

Hi,

I strongly recommend these three: GuitarLessons365, GuitarZoom or Berklee Online. But if your budget allows you, paid courses (with personal tutors) for an advanced level are worth the money.

GeraintGuitar

Mark

Hey mark , While it is true a good teacher will push your playing to the level you desire , Theres nothing wrong with using the wealth of knowledge there is on web , For example the players you've listed in your post are all masters of mixing the Major AND minor pentatonic in thier playing , i would start there learn all five positions of the minor pentatonic and major pentatonic in one key like A for example ( you should easily be able to find a chart of these scales and positions through google) , then experiment with those scales over a I V ( A7 and D7) chord progression , This is an old blues and blues rock trick that your ears will be used to hearing , O and when i say experiment i mean create you own licks with in those scale shapes.
put your mind to it and you should be able to open the fret board a little more for yourself

Good luck :)

Dave P

If you want to grow, you need to practice stuff you don't know or not very good at. If you play the same stuff over and over, you are just spinning your wheels. Personally, I was always terrible at legato style playing, so that is an area I've been working on. Identify areas you want to improve and do the work. There are no shortcuts, unlike those youtube ads that tell you that you can be a virtuoso in 3 easy steps.