• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What does P-90 "stand for"?

Pearly Grapes

What is the meaning of the term P-90?
What does the "P" mean?
What does "90" refer to?
Inquiring minds want to know!
PG

Rev.WillieVK

Pickup Model 90
(P-90 derived from internal company name PU-90 - Duchossoior)

lpdeluxe

That's the only place I've seen that. Other speculation indicates "P-90" = "Pickup-$90" (like the ES-150 = Electric Spanish-$150).

In every package of US Army C-Rations (back in the day) was a clever can opener made of two pieces of metal. They were universally known as "P-38s." To this day I've never heard an explanation for it.

Bluefinger

That's the only place I've seen that. Other speculation indicates "P-90" = "Pickup-$90" (like the ES-150 = Electric Spanish-$150).

In every package of US Army C-Rations (back in the day) was a clever can opener made of two pieces of metal. They were universally known as "P-38s." To this day I've never heard an explanation for it.

The pickup-price explaination makes sense ...

OT but in the Austrian Army there are similar descriptions for everything from a shoestring to a tank. Usually it's an abbreviation for the type of item itself followed by the year it was introduced. The Glock for example is called P-80 (Pistol, used since 1980)

vivaoaxaca

I've had one of those on my key ring for over 25 years. I never heard why it was called P-38 either.

blueguitar

I've had one of those on my key ring for over 25 years. I never heard why it was called P-38 either.

P-38, hmm, lets think... isn´t that what ist is :peace2 :

ba7vr9tmct0vsk9bv.jpg

and that :peace2 :peace2 :

ba7vsakjoa8r4vd4r.jpg

just wondering, how you kept those on a keyring... :wow

(I know I´m off-topic - delete as you please...)

Rev.WillieVK

"Other speculation indicates "P-90" = "Pickup-$90""

The pickup-price explaination makes sense ...

When an entire Les Paul Junior sold for ~$95, why would a pickup sell for $90?

In the 1957 CMI Parts & Accessories Catalog. the P-90 pickup and cover were listed for $32.40. (Lawrence, p. 185)

1955Junior

That's the only place I've seen that. Other speculation indicates "P-90" = "Pickup-$90" (like the ES-150 = Electric Spanish-$150).QUOTE]

One might think that number 90 meant that the pickup originally sold for $90 - although that cannot be. In 1954, a Les Paul Junior listed for $120 (that would me the price of the rest of the guitar was $30). I also have a Chicago Musical Instrument (CMI) Catalog from 1957 that lists various Gibson replacement parts. An entire P-90 pickup assembly listed for $32.40. That included the pickup, cover, pots, cap and input jack! This entire assmebly was listed as the No. 480 Pickup Unit. Also noteworthy is that the gold bonnet knobs were listed separately at $0.95 each:jim The number 90 could mean that the original spec. of the pickup was 9000 ohms - or it may not really denote anything.

1955Junior

When an entire Les Paul Junior sold for ~$95, why would a pickup sell for $90?

In the 1957 CMI Parts & Accessories Catalog. the P-90 pickup and cover were listed for $32.40. (Lawrence, p. 185)

Exactly! As I just noted in my previous post - that $32.40 also included the pots, cap and input jack!