• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

58 historic reissue blacktop

59FAN

hi gang,
does anyone here have a 58 historic reissue blacktop? i saw one at a reecent guitar show and was wondering how it played. did gibson ever make these blacktops before or is this a custom guitar?

any help would be appreciated...jimmy

1958teaburst

they have made a few in the few past years . They also made 59s like this . I like them :dude

59FAN

wow!! there's 59s like that? cool. is there any precedent to painting just the tops black? were there any original 58s or 59s like that?

thanks...jimmy

1958teaburst

There were too different black tops , trans-black like the jps or just black like the one in botb . I think that the trans black ones had a natural back(like gold top) .

D

Doug H

59FAN said:
wow!! there's 59s like that? cool. is there any precedent to painting just the tops black? were there any original 58s or 59s like that?

thanks...jimmy
Yeah, in the book Beauty of the Burst (abbrev.= BOTB) there's a "blacktop." Actually, it's completely black- neck, back, and all. It has black knobs replacing the gold, but still has creme pup rings, guard, & switchplate. I think it's a pretty sweet look, but then again I like most LPs I've seen. :hippy